Post by Geoff & Jude on Jan 12, 2007 7:16:43 GMT 10
just finished the resto on the outside of "rosie", which had us rebuilding the four corners of the van to remove the dry rot and repainting to suit the victoria. it has taken about four weeks of solid work over a period of 3 months, all done out on the street on the council verge. anyway, here are a few fotos.
dry rot (one corner before and after)
the outside (before and after)
and we tow it with this
haven't hitched it up to the car yet to see the total effect, but we're heading to kiama on sunday for a week at kendall's beach van park, so i'll wait till then to see the combination together.
when we get back, it's time to start on the inside.
Post by Geoff & Jude on Jan 13, 2007 8:40:53 GMT 10
here's a bit of food for thought for all you van restorers.
during the refitting of the side paneling, i had to replace some of the 3/4" screws with 1" screws to "get them to grip'. (no problem there).
let me say at this point i am a fairly good friend of that irish bugger, murphey.
i later reconnected the battery and as you can already probably guess, there was a dead short in the 12v house light circuit. yes, one of the longer screws had pierced the power loop and short circuited the system across the +ve/-ve figure 8 wiring.
not a problem to work out what had most likely happened, but it took about 3 hours to go over EVERY screw i had removed/replaced to find out which one was the culprit.
luckily, it was found without having to go to the trouble of fully removing any paneling. ;D ;D ;D ;D
i thought i might mention this, so that i doesn't happen to any of you.
You are Gunna have to book in early this year and get a spot at motorfest in 2008.... By the look of it you might need 2 spots ... 16' van and the vicky will need a bit of elbow room.
Your rig looks great. Always amazes me what a paint job does for these old vans. especially when they are colour coordinated with the tow car...................Cooooooooooooool. Cant wait to see it in the flesh at Munmorah.,
Post by Geoff & Jude on Feb 12, 2007 8:45:15 GMT 10
Hi Wildmanaus , thanks for your comments , will have a look at some photos in black & white, thanks for the idea.
Hi Earlee, she does look a bit different now - still haven't got to the inside yet, trying to find a suitable laminex - I want something to fit the era of the van . Geoff did all the work on the ali between the windows - lots of elbow grease!!!!!
Hi Reddo, don't know about motorfest - they might not have a parking space big enough. ;D ;D ;D It sure attracts a lot of attention out on the road now .
Ah Reddo, but wait till you see the "protective force shield" that has been installed to keep out bondwood lovers & their ammo.
Post by Geoff & Jude on Apr 5, 2007 8:58:13 GMT 10
just got back from my local "blue slip" man. the van passed the blue slip inspection without any problems ;D ;D ;D she weighed in at 1190kg (fridge and microwave included). so now, like reddo, all i have to do is see the rta folk and pay them the money and it's "all over - red rover". (gunna pay the rego on my birthday - 18th - so judy always has a 'decent' present to give me).
Post by Geoff & Jude on Apr 18, 2007 14:12:09 GMT 10
well, 12 months to the day that we bought the roadmaster, all the wood rot has been removed, the outside is re-painted, the inside is re-painted and now we're only waiting for a delivery of laminex from the usa to have the whole thing finished, (i still have to fit some white walls to it yet). ;D ;D ;D
it feels good.
went down to the rta today with all the right paperwork to transfer the rego over to nsw plates expecting it to go through without a hitch.
the only thing that worried me was that when it was blue-slipped, the rego man asked whether i wanted him to generate a vin code for it or use the code (68) that was welded onto the chassis. naturally, (being a purist) i chose to use the welded code, so he added that to the blue-slip - no dramas.
well, everything went swimmingly at the rta, until they typed in the vin and guess what, the vin related to an undefined trailer that was on their stolen list.
at this point i began to panic a bit (12 months work and some dollars down the drain) and my heart sank so far that i realised i was standing on it.
not to worry they said, just go down to the local police station and get them to check it out on the computer and get a letter of clearance if it checks out ok. their records found the original south aussie vin which was clear, so back to the rta with the police report and as you can see from the photo, all's well that ends well. took about 90 minutes all up.
i have to say that the counter girl and the manager at the rta were both really helpful and encouraging, so not all experiences down there have a sad story attached.
Egad ....Look .. The darn thing is possessed Its levatating (spelling ) above the footpath . I always said those tin things where evil. now i am convinced. Hmmmmmmm ... might have to come up with something with a bit more 'fire power" than my concrete filled watermelons at munmorah. No worries guys i will book a priest and have him perform an exorcism on the "sardine tin". That should bring it back to earth
Ifn that dont work i will put it out of its misery with a 8-)TIMBER stake through the heart.