Post by Franklin1 on Sept 12, 2019 17:36:12 GMT 10
G'day stooy, The triangular timber is really just a means of fixing the skin to that section of the front. The majority of load-bearing is done by the seatboxes inside the front section, providing the boxes are interlinked with the flooring, plus both the front skin and side skins. When you say you had a fair bit of movement previously in the front area, it would seem to me that there wasn't enough interlocking of bits and pieces ABOVE the steel cross-beam, rather than just the triangular timber rotting out. Cheers, Al.
Post by Franklin1 on Sept 13, 2019 15:07:02 GMT 10
These photos show how the seatbox framework in my van locks the floor, the front, and the side of the van together...
Missing from the photo is the laminated curved strip that was positioned against the front skin in the front left side of the photo. The curved lamination looked something like this...
When the plywood skins were glued and nailed to the seatbox framework, plus with additional bits of timber glued at floor level across the front, it makes for quite a robust structure that is able to withstand shocks from hitting potholes, etc, in the road...
The more you can lock the floor, front, and sides together, the more the van will stand up to the rigours of travelling along bumpy highways. And the beauty is that you don't need great hulking timber sizes...you just need to interlock in as many places as possible within the design.
A long overdue update on the repairs to the front of my Don. Thanks everyone for your help and advice along the way!
When we got the skin cut off it turned out that the front rail wasn't in too bad a shape, but all of the timbers connecting to it were. All of the bows that run from front to rear were rotted off, and the two side rails that connect to the floor and support the jacks were also rotten.
Many options were discussed, but we settled with making a steel frame which will support the front cross rail, and firmly connect the new side rails and all the bows together.
Below is a photo of it being fitted.
We have now completed almost all the structural work and soon will be re skinning the van.