Hi everyone, ALL IMAGES IN THIS THREAD HAVE BEEN MIGRATED TO POSTIMAGE.ORG - 25th July 2017
Just thought I'd share another Olympic Debonair that is being saved from the elements. No sure on the year it is yet; can't read the chassis number for the rust and dirt; plus it's to darn wet to put the extra effort in just now.
It's probably an early 70's, but it might be a 69er. Boblor can help on that when I find out what the chassis number is.
This one is a little different in that at some time in it's early existence, someone had a caravan company, probably Olympic, change it from a twin single bed to a double bed. I'm assuming this because the fitout looks like factory fitout. You cannot lift the bed to access the storage however, there is a large/deep slide out draw under the bed; the rear of the draw has wheels on it. The evidence of the single beds can still be seen on the floor under the bed when you take the draw out.
The interior is still pretty much intact. One cupboard door will need to be replaced as will the slide bench over the stove and possibly the table.
The floor is in really good condition however, there is some roof damage that is leaking and a small area of the floor under the seat next to the fridge is affected, but only the top layer.
On Sunday in the rain, I decide to see what would clean all the fungus and mould growth off. First; high pressure clean. The first photo is results of a high pressure clean The light section through the middle is the result of spray on shower cleaner (bleach). The red and black mould is coming off but the orange, green and brown stuff seems to be unaffected.
The second photo shows an area cleaned with bleach - this area had red mould only.
Today I sprayed it with one of the apply and forget driveway/concrete cleaners. I hope it doesn't forget that I applied it!
What successes have other members had with cleaning stubborn mould?
Finally got a chance to get something done. This old girl had major roof damage caused by a falling tree branch. I used plastic wrappe plywood screwed through the roof from inside to pull it all back into shape. I wrapped the ply in plastic to stop the fibreglass resin sticking to the ply. Then used a sanding disk fitted to an angle grinder to sand and taper the area to be fibre glassed. You can see the odd white spot; that's the screw holes being patched after the initial repair. It all came up quite solid and neat finish.
The white-wash ply panel around the kitchen window had some water damage and other damage from previous owners gluing stuff to it. This was glued on real good but I needed to salvage the undamaged panel so I could repair the water damaged bedhead. Once I had the panel off, I could see the lower timber strip under the window had wood rot, so it's been replaced. Also took the window out and refitted it with new sealer. I'll replace the kitchen panel with a white panel similar to what I used on the other Debonair.
Here's the panel I was able to salvage - to be used to repair the bedhead.
I'll use the above panel to repair the top of the bedhead below.
Next week I plan to try and colour match some flow coat to the original gel coat. I hope I succeed cause if I don't, I'll have to paint her.
Back again. It's been a while. Wasn't a good year for me as far as progress goes on this van. Hurt my back pretty bad early in the year and like a goose, I did the typical male thing and soldered on; bad mistake. It's only been the last few weeks I've had the strength/confidence to get back into finishing this van.
I've been prepping the exterior for a new paint job. Ready to topcoat in the morning. It's been getting pretty windy here the last few days; starts around 10-11am so I'll get started about 5am if there's no dew.
To help protect from the wind, I've made a temporary partial spray booth from a tarp and shade cloth. This is what I did last time and it works quite well. . .