Post by Geoff & Jude on Sept 11, 2011 13:37:51 GMT 10
had the continental up against the "ritz" today to measure up the new gooseneck for the towbar. (the first gooseneck i made had the ball too close to the bumper and i couldn't get the coupling to drop on completely).
when i lowered the "ritz" onto the ball but not "clicking it in", the rear of the conti went down 5mm from the unloaded position, so the original spring uplifts seem to be doing a pretty good job.
and the whole rig is only 11.5 meters long, that's 37 feet 9 inches in the old money, so it won't take up much room at all.
now all i've got to do is repaint the van to finish off the set.
Post by Geoff & Jude on Nov 6, 2011 17:06:03 GMT 10
does this look familiar.
yes, you're right - the conti has officially become a member of the grays point "blue heelers" automotive society (a very elite group might i say).
we have just had a very nice weekend at belmont pines lakeside holiday park, thoroughly recommended by "the sutcacs", and rightly so.
unfortunately, as a result of a more than probable blown head gasket, the conti didn't quite make it up the ourimbah hill on the way home and had a HUGE dummy spit, not dissimilar to mount vesuvius and showed all the signs of an overheating problem.
a nice nrma man replaced the blown hose but after filling it with new water suggested we wouldn't make it up mooney mooney and ordered the tilt tray.
oh well - all in a days motoring in classic cars and vintage vans.
geoff 'n jude
we managed to devour 14 of barry's famous pea and potato pies while we were up there, and yes cobber, they are "the best".
gotta go, there's one last pea and potato pie warming in the oven for my tea and i've gotta check to make sure it's not overcooking.
Post by Geoff & Jude on Nov 11, 2011 17:49:31 GMT 10
for those that are interested, we spent the last day or so ripping the heads off the conti (they're torqued down to 140ft.lb., a lenght of pipe on the socket to loosen them then had to lever them off with a 4 foot lenght of reo).
talk about big - takes two people to lift each head safely and the same for the inlet manifold.
the front of the car lifted about 10mm when manifold and the heads came off.
biggest inlet ports i've ever seen, you can park a car inside them.
funny thing though, no sign of any "blown" cylinders or water passages which is a bit of a "let down/concern", but most of the water passages were about 90% blocked and some were fully blocked so hopefully that might mean that with them cleared and flushed, it might run a bit cooler - time will tell.
doing a valve grind while i've got the heads off but so far the seats are in pretty good condition.
it's been doing a lot of pinging with the van on (even though i added octane booster) and was hoping to see some serious carbon build up but all the pots and chambers are pretty carbon free so i'll have to find another reason for the pinging.
anyway, another day or two of cleaning up and it goes back together again.
Post by Geoff & Jude on Nov 14, 2011 9:58:39 GMT 10
oh well, life wasn't meant to be easy.
further investigation has shown that the water jackets at the rear of the block are pretty well choked with "debris" so the next task is to pull the welsh plugs out and give it a good high pressure water/air blast to get the passages clear again.
didn't really want to do that but it seems the only way to go.
gotta get the exhaust manifolds and the starter out first so i can access the plugs and then the mess begins.
it's all good fun - NOT!!!!!!!
if you get the impression i'm not enthusiastic about it all, you're right - anybody interested in buying a '62 lincoln continental convertible???
After doing the welch plugs & pressure washing everything you can get at, I'd recommend that you use this stuff: Liquid Intelligence 239.
I used it in the Jag last summer and it dropped the engine temp by at least 10 degrees C (20 F). It's time consuming (takes most of a day, on and off) but is pretty effective. An unbelievable amount of sludge came out of the Jag engine when I used it.
Not as good as having the bare block hot-tanked (which I did over winter since I was doing a re-build anyway) but certainly enough to make a difference. No damage to block or head from the chemical flush either - we checked during the rebuild.
Last Edit: Nov 15, 2011 20:22:34 GMT 10 by richard
Post by Geoff & Jude on Nov 14, 2011 21:27:19 GMT 10
hi cobber and reddo
don't worry, i'm not really going to sell the old girl, just a moment of weakness.
and cobber, we were back up at blacksmiths recently and i had 5 young(ish) girls with me in the car cruising with the top down.
not sure now whether it's a chick magnet or a chook magnet, but it was very cool.
richard - i'll definitely ring that bloke up about his stuff and give it a go once it's back together. if it's half as good as the website blurb, it should fix things up for me once i've done the preliminaries - thanks for the link.
I know Bob Trevan, one of the guys recomending the product on the web page. He was a Ford dealer for his working life, & has a large collection of veteran & vintage Fords. If he recomends something I reckon it would be pretty good
Post by Geoff & Jude on Nov 15, 2011 18:00:22 GMT 10
spent the day making special air and water nozzles then cleaning the block using high flow water jet and 90 psi air combination to blast the gunk from all the water galleries.
this is part of what came out - some other bits got washed down the drain.
i reckon that with the ports cleaned out and all that crap removed from the galleries we should have better water flow/cooling and maybe no more pinging caused by the high running temperatures at the back of the block.
next step is to ring up about that 239 cleaner (thanks richard) and use it to dissolve any "little bits left over".
geoff 'n jude
ps - you all missed your chance, the conti isn't for sale any more.