Post by strugglebrook on Aug 7, 2020 9:09:44 GMT 10
Just to get the ball rolling, on the annual Shellharbour get together, Our great organiser Judge Judy has not yet put up the Dates for this year, and with good reason. A few of us eternal opptimists have booked our usual sites from Thursday the 15th and departing on Monday the 19th of October, as allways up to you how long or short you stay. As this is a busy Park it is better to book earlier than later. Lets just hope things settle down so we can use our bookings and have a great weekend like we always do.
We have paid our deposit and are going from Thursday to Monday. They said that they still have everyone's booking from last year, it's hard to call them so I sent an email and they called back 1/2 hour later. it should be a nice little get a way even thou it's only a 45min drive from our place. 🤠👩🦰
Post by Geoff & Jude on Aug 13, 2020 14:00:10 GMT 10
I have been holding off posting about this year's Shellharbour get together due to the dreaded Covdid 19 restrictions.
Please be assured all sites are re-booked and held for us every year, this is the last thing I do before I leave each year. I also put a few spare sites on hold in case we have extra starters.
There was some talk last year of moving the weekend back one week to coincide with the Jamberoo Car Show. After talking to most people it was left the same. Some people wanted to be able to put their cars in the show, some wanted to go to Kurri Kurri etc, too many variables to work with.
At this stage the caravan park is not answering the phones but will call you back if you leave a message or send an email. They are happy to take deposits and will hold them over until next year if the weekend doesn't go ahead.
They are waiting to hear if caravan park restrictions will be eased. As the restrictions currently stand they can only accommodate self contained vans and that certainly excludes the majority of us. They have had to block off every second shower, toilet and basin which cuts down the number available. There are quite a few permanent vans in the park and they are given priority to use the amenities as they pay fees all year.
I do hope this explains why I have been holding off posting and unfortunately I can't give you a definite answer if we can go ahead yet. I speak to Julie frequently and will update everyone the moment I hear any relevant info.
Sadly Mark and Julie are moving on to go and live on their beautiful property on the North Coast of NSW. They finish up 30/9/2020 and will be a very hard act to follow as far as managers go.
Post by Geoff & Jude on Sept 10, 2020 20:11:50 GMT 10
I have been keeping in touch with Julie at Shellharbour and at this stage they are still under Covid19 restrictions which means it isn't looking good for our annual get together. All the park managers can do is check the NSW Health Guidelines each day and hope for a change .
It has been mentioned that some parks are open and some not . It all depends on the council that covers each area and some parks are still privately run and choose to risk opening up. The penalty for breaching these rules is $55,000 and I can understand Mark and Julie sticking to the rules. These shutdowns have cost them a lot of money and they are very disappointed they can't be open for us.
We have booked all the sites for 2021 and anyone who has paid can either transfer their money to next year or ask for a refund if we don't get to go this year . I can understand this is difficult for people who have to take time off work etc and I am sorry I can't give you a more positive answer.
There is a statement on the parks website explaining all the current restrictions, we can only live in hope that things will change in the next few weeks .
I have contacted Shellharbor today to confirm our attendance for the weekend in October. Thier website states that all caravans must me self contained and I said that ours was and we were looking forward to the weekend.
Their response was
"Our amenities are operational although running at half capacity. In the event of any pandemic outbreak the amenities will be immediately shut down, hence the requirement for self-containment if this does happen"
So, what does this mean.
I understand that this means that we can still use the facilities in the caravan park (but every second stall is closed).
To make your van self contained all you would need is a portable toilet that could be used if a "pandemic outbreak" occurs as well as a bucket for showers.
I don't think we can have our cooking competitions (and I have a great recipe for a dip for this year) , or our well attended happy hours.
Anyway, Anne and I will be using this as an excuse to get away from home and look forward to socially distancing from those who can make it.
Last Edit: Sept 17, 2020 21:23:37 GMT 10 by tooleyau
We can only accept bookings with caravans or motorhomes that have a kitchen and a fully self-contained en-suite bathroom with shower and toilet (plumbed in, i.e. flushing toilet), we cannot accept port-a-loos or non plumbed in showers.
So I guess they do not agree that a shovel is acceptable as a portable toilet.