Very nice Conti. It appears that your entry door is equispaced between the windows as opposed to the others in the early 50s pic. Can`t see a stowage door under their bay windows either. Love the quilted headliner & brocade? cushion covers. gordon
Queenstown Tasmania. 1948/52 Mercury Teardrop. 1959 Phase III Vanguard Vignale.
Post by Geoff & Jude on Sept 21, 2012 17:08:43 GMT 10
things have moved forward a little bit so i thought we'd put up a few progress pics.
we gave away the idea of sanding (too dusty) and paint stripper (too messy and too expensive) and stuck with the heat gun and scraper.
burnt one gun out already but bunnings had them for $19.95 with a 2 year diy replacement warranty so bought 2, one each for jude and me.
so far we've done the top, back, right hand side, some of the front and some of the left hand side.
by the end of the weekend it should be stripped, sanded and probably the first undercoat if we get a few very small repairs done where it was dropped of the car trailer before we got it. the good part is that there is absolutely no dry rot in it at all - you've gotta be lucky sometimes.
anyhow, here's a couple of pics for posterity.
geoff 'n jude
Last Edit: Sept 21, 2012 19:47:16 GMT 10 by Deleted
Interesting....but not all that surprising that you prefer the heat gun over the alternatives, I might get around to using one....one day do you reckon they would be as effective on water based paints ?
Post by Geoff & Jude on Sept 25, 2012 18:07:14 GMT 10
just a quick update.
we were hoping to have paint on by now but got a bit held up with needing to replace some of the edging tape that had worn thin or rotted near some of the nail heads.
couldn't buy any edging tape so started with hemming tape but decided that wasn't as good as it should be, so we had some calico and jude bought a pair of pinking shears and we made our own.
anyhow, tomorrow morning i'll put a few bits of tape on then away we go with the primer.
the primer we're using is some stuff called australis stain block that was recommended by our local professional paint shop then following it with a marine polyeurathane from norglass called weatherfast premium enamel. (They have a sunliner as part of their website promotion.)
super glossy and it runs out very smoothe, almost like spray painting.
hopefully we'll have some pics of it in undercoat tomorrow afternoon.
haven't even thought about the chassis at this stage, that'll get done after coledale.
geoff 'n jude
Last Edit: Sept 26, 2012 17:25:24 GMT 10 by Deleted
Post by aeroliteej on Oct 22, 2012 21:54:41 GMT 10
Howdy Geoff & Jude, l just found this extra link on your Aerolite. Looking great with the new paint and trimmings re-fitted. Very exciting to see. We have had some trouble with the edge tape as well,so might borrow your idea of using Calico(hope you havent patented it yet). I havent noticed anyone else talking of owning an Aerolite,so may well be a rare survivor. We are using a sander/polisher on our van,not going too bad, but not as much acreage to cover as yours either. See you at the Aerolite Nationals,h haa-Pete.
Post by Geoff & Jude on Sept 9, 2014 16:01:16 GMT 10
a couple of years ago we stripped the aerolite back to bare plywood and repainted it, including the roof, with oil based Australis Stain Block Undercoat and Norglass Weatherfast Opal White.
2 years later and the paint had cracked so much that the timber surfaces were beginning to show signs of deterioration so we have just about finished redoing the whole of the roof area again.
this time we stripped the roof back to bare timber again, then followed kingfisher's model of sealing with bondcrete (which also has the added advantage of acting similiar to a pva glue to bind any small splits) laying calico between water based taubmans 3 in 1 primer, sealer, undercoat then finishing with water based taubmans endure exterior gloss.
we figured that the "plastic" paint will be better than enamel because of it's ability to absorb the movement in the timber better than the enamel did (the calico will also help here).
only time will tell but so far there's no signs of any problems (and it's been almost two days since it was done. )
i'd prefer to use enamels because of the better gloss finish but it didn't work for us.
the next decision is whether or not to completely re-do the sides again since the enamel on them is cracking up as well.
if we ever do another timber van, we'll definitely use plastic paint all over.
geoff 'n jude
ps - as an aside, a couple of days ago, i stuck two pieces of timber together (without clamping) using only the bondcrete and when i split the join with a chisel today, the glued faces kept the bond and the timber split just beside the join, so bondcrete will not only seal the plywood successfully but will also glue any tiny faults in the surface of the ply. (thanks kingfisher for your research)
Post by Geoff & Jude on Sept 9, 2014 16:02:42 GMT 10
i've just calicoed the hatches for the aerolite but this time i did the final colour coat in white enamel, so in about 2 or 3 years time i'll be able to give you a true comparison between the two finishes. i also didn't use the bondcrete as a waterproofing base. (only because i forgot to. )
i know that's no help right now but it might be useful in the future.